Your home’s roof is what stands between your family and the elements. Therefore, it is important that you stay on top of your general roofing maintenance and make sure you take action when you notice signs that it could be deteriorating.
Here are a few examples of warning signs of a bad roof in Gilbert, AZ that should lead you to bring in a professional to inspect it:
- Missing shingles: If you notice you have some shingles that have come completely off your roof, it’s important to take action quickly, because missing shingles result in openings where water can easily enter your home. Strong winds, debris and even animal activity can lead to shingles lifting and coming off your roof.
- Curling or cupping shingles: Curling shingles are generally a result of improper shingle storage before installation, improper installation methods or low-quality materials, but can also come about due to natural wear and tear. As shingles start to curl up, they become incapable of preventing water from getting through your roof, resulting in possible structural damage to your home.
- Decaying shingles: At some point, all roofing materials will begin to deteriorate. With shingles, the process will happen gradually—not every individual shingle will deteriorate at the same rate as those around them. However, it should be fairly easy to tell when you do have deteriorating shingles just by looking at them. Any shingles that appear to be curling, blistering, peeling, cracking, splitting or chipping should probably be replaced as soon as possible.
- Poor workmanship: This tends to be a problem with people who completed DIY roofing jobs, or who hired an unlicensed or inexperienced contractor. Some signs of poor workmanship on a roofing job include lots of obvious patching, shingles that don’t fit together or multiple layers of shingles. This is why you should always vet any contractors you work with—make sure they’re trusted and experienced and that they’re going to do the job correctly the first time, so you don’t have to spend a lot of money fixing their mistakes.
- Damage to flashing: Flashing is the metal sheeting that gets installed at joints or angles on the roof, preventing water from getting through those joints and damaging the roof. You’ll often find flashing around the chimney and vent pipes, but it may also be used in valleys of your home. It’s common for leaks to form around areas with missing or damaged flashing, so it’s important to correct these issues as soon as you can when they arise.
- Old age: All roofs have an expiration date. If your roof is two or three decades old, you may be looking at a replacement being necessary sooner rather than later, especially if you’re experiencing any of the above issues.
For more information about how to know if a roof is going bad and what steps you can take to remedy the issues, we encourage you to contact an experienced roofing contractor in Gilbert, AZ at Five Guys Roofing today. We look forward to assisting you soon.